Building community enrichment
& passion for the arts.
Alleghany Arts Council “Impacting the arts with a mural”
Artist Call for Proposal
The Alleghany Arts Council is soliciting proposals from artists for an outdoor mural to be located in downtown Sparta, NC. Artists must reside in one of the 25 counties located in the Blue Ridge National Heritage Area of North Carolina. Alleghany County is proud of its rich agricultural roots, and we are seeking mural proposals that emphasize our local agricultural heritage. The mural must be completed by July 15, 2021.
Sparta is completing a multi-million-dollar streetscape update of its downtown area. Thanks to a generous donation from Skyline/Skybest and matching funds from the Alleghany Arts Council, we have chosen and secured a space for a downtown Sparta wall mural.
The Alleghany Arts Council hopes to bring more public art projects into Sparta as funding and locations are acquired. Artist information will be kept on file for future projects.
Artist Proposal Submission Deadline: January 31, 2021
Notification Date: February 15, 2021
Project Start Date: February 15, 2021
Project Completion Date: July 15, 2021
1/3 at notification
1/3 at 50% completion (minimum of 4) 4’x7′ panels
1/3 at completion of 8 panels and successful installation at site
Project Materials Specifications & Information Artist Requirements
1. The submitting artist (or team of artists) must have a primary residence in one of the following NC counties: Alleghany, Ashe, Avery, Buncombe, Burke, Caldwell, Cherokee, Clay, Graham, Haywood, Henderson, Jackson, McDowell, Macon, Madison, Mitchell, Polk, Rutherford, Surry, Swain, Transylvania, Watauga, Wilkes, Yadkin and Yancey.
2. The artist(s) will submit a proposal following the Application Requirements in #7.
3. The artist(s) chosen will make a brief presentation to the Alleghany Arts Council Board.
4. The artist(s) chosen will take part in any Town of Sparta unveiling/ presentation.
5. The artist(s) must own the design and ideas submitted with this application.
6. The artist(s) will enter into a contract allowing images of the mural to be shared publicly and used in any Arts Council/ Sparta/Alleghany County/Appalachian Mural Trail publicity.
7. The artist(s) may suggest materials comparable to those listed below, but they must be specifically approved by the Mural Committee.
Alleghany Arts Council • PO Box 962 • Sparta, NC 28675 • 336-209-0475
The Alleghany Arts Council is committed to providing access to events for every segment of our community and audience. If you have questions about accessibility to any of our events please click here to email us.