Backwoods Beat Songwriting Competition
- All songs entered into the competition must be the original work of the contestant.
- Contestants cannot be professional songwriters.
- Winners in each of the two age divisions (adult and youth) will be required to perform their winning songs the evening of Saturday, June 23, 2018.
- Contestants who perform their songs are prohibited from using digital accompaniment.Instead, they will accompany themselves with up to ONE extra musician on the stage.
- An entry fee of $20 is required. The entry fee drops to $15 for each additional song that the writer enters into the competition.
- A CD recording of the song and a lyric sheet must be submitted with the entry form.
- If the song is co-written, the co-writer’s name must be included on the entry form.
- The contestant’s signature on the entry form signifies that each submitted song is the original work of the contestant and thereby releases Backwoods Beat from all liability.
- All entries must be mailed to Backwoods Beat Songwriting Competition, P.O. Box 1521, Sparta, NC 28675 and postmarked by Saturday, May 12, 2018.
- Cash prizes—1st place $200, 2nd place $100, 3rd place $50 (for adult and youth divisions)
The first round of judging will be conducted by a team of volunteer judges, composed of former NSAI workshop coordinators (Nashville Songwriters Association, Inc.) and experienced musicians. The final judging will take place in Nashville, TN, by a record producer, song publisher, and former director of A&R (Artists and Repertoire) for Capitol Records.
All entries will be judged by originality, melody, lyric, and the song’s overall potential. The production of the CD and the quality of the performance will not be a determining factor in the judging. Only the finalists will be notified (by Saturday, June 2, 2018).
*For more information, contact The Alleghany Chamber of Commerce at (336) 372-5473 or Cheri Choate at (828) 773-8737.
Sponsored by local attorneys:
Whitney Ivey • Heather Klein • Donna Schumate • Louise Paglen